December 14, 2018
Cobalt is dedicated to providing our clients with best-in-class insight around the private markets. Through understanding these trends in 2018 in private equity, clients are better able to understand their portfolio in the context of the market as well as gain a market perspective.
The information below is just a sample of the information available in the platform through the Hamilton Lane data set.
Trends in 2018
- Private markets have historically outperformed the public markets by 300-500 bps over long-term horizons at comparable level of volatility [endnote symbol=”1,2″ text=”See footnotes below”]
- NAV and dry powder have risen steadily over the past year, increasing each quarter by an average of 3.4% and 2.7% respectively
- Time to liquidate NAV remains below the long-term average, suggesting healthy liquidity in the private markets
- Time to deploy capital overhang hovers near the long-term average and GPs continue to make investments at an average pace
- One-year performance has been particularly strong in equity strategies, with returns in the high-teens or greater